This would be a fabulous Easter dessert!! Not only does it look nice with pastel sprinkle or candied lemon peel on top, it is full of lemony taste for Spring. I would recommend making this the night before so it sets up well, but if you make it the day of a dinner, allow 6 hours for it to be set. this came from "Taste of Home" originally, but I made some changes, as I usually do. Happy Easter, Happy Spring!!
- 3 Egg Yolks Beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 3 Egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached flour( I use King Arthur or Pillsbury)
- 1 cup finel chopped walnuts and pecans mixed(I changed this to a mix and the flavor is great)!
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick cold butter
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages(3.4 ozs. each) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 8 oz. cartons frozen whipped topping, thawed(or 1- 16 oz. carton)
In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch: gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil, cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and lemon peel. Gently stir in the lemon juice. Refrigerate until cool.
In a bowl, combine the flour and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I use a food processor for this and it does a great job and mixes it so well. Press into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch pan.Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth; Carefully spread over crust. Spread with cooled lemon mixture. In another mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low for 2 minutes: beat in vanilla. Fold in one 8 oz. carton of topping, spread over lemon layer. Spread with remaining carton of whipped topping. Chill for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, before serving. 12-16 servings