Monday, April 26, 2010

Green Chili a la Lee Cumba

Wondeful, wonderful is how I would describe Lee's green chili. It is NOT TOO HOT, which I really like, but you can make it hotter if you like and it has fabulous flavor. I never knew green chili , only Texas red chili until I moved to Colorado 25 years ago. I absolutely love Mexican food but sometimes it is just too hot. When Lee made this for bridge group, I told her I needed to put it up on my website. Try it!! You will love it!! with four tortillas or over enchiladas, burritos or as a bowl of chili by itself!!
Lee says,"This is the basic recipe I use, but I add many variations, like adding cubed steak with the pork and other ingredients. Also I like to add some Cumin(powder) or any other spices you prefer".

1 lb. diced pork (Use a good quality roast and trim all fat or add additional steak as above)
1/2 cup flour
3 TBLS. olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 onion, chopped
1 quart jar tomatoes or 2- 16 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 Large can(24-28 oz) Hatch green chiles(Albertson's has them here in Colorado)
Lee also recommends roasting fresh ones on the grill and peeling them. Use 6 or 7 whole chiles
For mild flavor use Anaheims and use the jalapenos, mia sols,or other hot ones if you like it
hotter. Either way, chop the chilis to add to mixture.
1 quart water

Instructions: Dust the pork pieces with the 1/2 cup flour and saute in the olive oil. When browned, add the rest of your ingredients and simmer till the pork is completely cooked and the chili has thickened. Probably about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. You want flavors to meld.

No comments: