- 1 onion, sliced thin
- Fresh herbs, use a combination and I cut large sprigs to line my Pyrex baking dish. This last time I used parsley, sage, tarragon, thyme, and oregano. I also sometimes add rosemary and or bay leaves
- 8 whole chicken breasts( I also use chicken breast filets without skin)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper(I like to use seasoned salt on mine for more flavor and Lawrey's seasoned pepper)
- 2 TBLS. chopped Fresh Tarragon
- 1/2 cup sour cream(I use about 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise( NOT Miracle Whip, use real mayo or Lite Mayo, I also use 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans or toasted chopped almonds (the original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans but I prefer them toasted(much more flavor) and not so many, I also like almonds in this so added) NUTS are OPTIONAL
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (this is my addition also, you can not use eggs if you don't want them)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a baking pan or pans very generously(Use butter not spray). Scatter onion slices and herbs in the pan and lay the halved breasts on top, skin side up, in a single layer. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until done. Do not overcook. Cool
Remove the skin and bones from meat and cut or shred into small cubes or slivers. Put in a bowl and mix with salt and pepper to taste and add 2 TBLS. tarragon. Add celery and chopped eggs.
Mix sour cream and mayonnaise together and stir into chicken a little at a time until creamy. Mix in more sour cream and mayo if necessary. Taste for seasoning and add chopped nuts, if desired. To serve, spoon chicken salad onto a bed of lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. or spoon into a hollowed out tomato. Serve on cantaloupe slices or in a hollowed out cantaloupe. Top with homemade croutons.