Monday, June 28, 2010

Tarragon Chicken Salad


I originally got this recipe from "The Martha Stewart Cookbook". It was the first time I had found a recipe for chicken salad where you cook the chicken on a bed of herbs. Since I grow my own herbs, it seemed like a nifty way to infuse the chicken with more flavor. Boy does it!! I've made some changes over the years, and I have included those. In the photo, you will see the chicken salad served with my homemade croutons which are included on this baking site. Chicken Salad is wonderful with fresh fruit and homemade rolls(lots of recipes on my site).


  1. 1 onion, sliced thin

  2. Fresh herbs, use a combination and I cut large sprigs to line my Pyrex baking dish. This last time I used parsley, sage, tarragon, thyme, and oregano. I also sometimes add rosemary and or bay leaves

  3. 8 whole chicken breasts( I also use chicken breast filets without skin)

  4. Juice of 1 lemon

  5. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper(I like to use seasoned salt on mine for more flavor and Lawrey's seasoned pepper)

  6. 2 TBLS. chopped Fresh Tarragon

  7. 1/2 cup sour cream(I use about 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup)

  8. 1/2 cup mayonnaise( NOT Miracle Whip, use real mayo or Lite Mayo, I also use 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup)

  9. 2 cups finely chopped celery

  10. 1 cup toasted chopped pecans or toasted chopped almonds (the original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans but I prefer them toasted(much more flavor) and not so many, I also like almonds in this so added) NUTS are OPTIONAL

  11. 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (this is my addition also, you can not use eggs if you don't want them)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a baking pan or pans very generously(Use butter not spray). Scatter onion slices and herbs in the pan and lay the halved breasts on top, skin side up, in a single layer. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until done. Do not overcook. Cool


Remove the skin and bones from meat and cut or shred into small cubes or slivers. Put in a bowl and mix with salt and pepper to taste and add 2 TBLS. tarragon. Add celery and chopped eggs.


Mix sour cream and mayonnaise together and stir into chicken a little at a time until creamy. Mix in more sour cream and mayo if necessary. Taste for seasoning and add chopped nuts, if desired. To serve, spoon chicken salad onto a bed of lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. or spoon into a hollowed out tomato. Serve on cantaloupe slices or in a hollowed out cantaloupe. Top with homemade croutons.

No comments: