Monday, August 25, 2008

Coffee Angel Food Cake


Next to my confetti angel food and my peach cobbler, this would have to be my most requested dessert. It is my favorite birthday cake and I don't even drink coffee!!! My mom, Nancy Aton, always made it and so it is to her credit and greatskill in cooking that I have this recipe. I believe she told me long ago that it came from a Julia Child cookbook. Just look at my confetti angel food for the basic angel food cake recipe or you can start with a 2 step box angel food. the toasted almonds are our family addition. You're goin" love it!!!!


  • One recipe of my angel food cake or one 2 step boxed angel food, to which you add 1 Tablespoon of powered instant coffee.

ICING



  • 2 Tablespoons powdered coffee

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3 cups powdered sugar

  • 3-4 tablespoons milk

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted in a little butter until light brown

Cream butter, add salt and sugar. Add vanilla and milk, a little at a time, beating until light and fluffly and it spreads easily. Ice cake and spread toasted almonds over the top and into the sides. FABULOUS!!

No comments: