Sunday, November 9, 2008

Carrot Cake

I recently took my carrot cake to my bridge group for a birthday party and I've had so many requests from them for the recipe, I decided to post it. I've had this for years, and I prefer carrot cake without a lot in it, except I liked toasted pecans in the icing. this recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, I have mentioned before "Kitchen Keepsakes". So for all those requests, here you go----
  1. 2 cups unbleached flour( I use King Arthur or Pillsbury)
  2. 2 cups sugar
  3. 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  4. 1 teaspoon salt
  5. 2 teaspoons soda
  6. 1 cup oil (I use Crisco for baking)
  7. 4 eggs(organic or free range are far better)
  8. 3 cups fresh, organic carrots, grated
  9. 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and vanilla and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Stir in grated carrots. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on where you live, in 2 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans or one 9x13 inch pan . Cool, in pan, on a cake rack for 15 minutes and then remove from pan onto rack. If using the 9x13 pan, cool completely in the pan. Ice with cream cheese frosting below.

FROSTING

  1. 1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
  2. 1 Ib. powdered sugar
  3. 1 stick butter or margarine( I use organic butter)
  4. 1-2 Tablespoons milk, cream or half and half
  5. 1 teaspoon vanilla
  6. 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans

To make the frosting, cream together the cream cheese and butter, blend in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk or cream or half and half to make smooth. Stir in nuts.

No comments: