Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ann's Vegetable soup

This is just the best soup and men LOVE it. I sometimes  use a combination of hamburger and ground Elk when I have it. Just enhances the flavor. Throw in any veggies you might have hanging around. I like squashes in it like zuchinni and summer yellow when in season. you can add spinach also. I run my tomatoes through the food processor as my husband does not like chunks of tomato in things. Very adaptable. Another comfort food winner!!

3-4 lbs. ground round or use half hamburger and half elk, buffalo whatever works for you
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes run thru food processor or can leave diced if you like.
1 16 ounce can stewed tomatoes, broken up with a spoon
1 can tomato soup
1 can consomme or beef broth
3 cups water
1 Tablespoon beef granules
1 16 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables( I really like C and W)
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces(I like the haricort verts).
I cup sliced carrots
1/2- 14 ounce pkg. coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
Any other veggies you might like,I add 1 cup sliced zuchinni or mixed summer squash in season

1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper
In a large stockpot saute beef, or beef and elk, with sliced onions, until onion is translucent. Drain off fat and add, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato soup, consomme,water, bouillon granules, and vegetables. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered for 2 hours. Stir in brown sugar and mustard and season to taste. Makes quite a bit... At least 10-12 servings.. Also freezes nicely... Serve with warm french bread...

No comments: