Friday, August 24, 2012

Cream Cheese Coconut Pecan Pound Cake

Last Christmas my dear friend, Carla gave me this fabulous cookbook "Southern Living Christmas Cookbook". I have found many new great recipes but this is my favorite so far. My husband said when I made it last week " YOu have to put this up on your website, It is wonderful!" so here it is and just in time for the holidays this year!

1 1/2 cups butter, softened(I use 1/2 cup(one stick) butter and a cup of butter flavor Crisco, here at high altitude)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar(I use about 2 3/4 cups sugar)
6 Large Eggs
3 cups unbleached flour(I prefer King Arthur and Pillsbury)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk(can use bourbon if you like, gives it a slightly different taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
1/2 cup  shredded coconut
Powdered sugar glaze
1/3 cup toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees(I bake at 350 degrees at high altitude). Grease and flour a 12 cup tube pan.
Beat butter(or butter and Crisco) and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yellow yolk disappears.
Sift together flour and salt; add to butter mixture. Beat batter at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Por batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour and 35 minutes or until long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Top with powdered sugar glaze(recipe follows) and toasted coconut.

Powdered Sugar glaze:
Stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tablespoons cream and 1 -1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract until smooth, adding more cream, if necessary, until desired consistency. Pour over cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Sit back and listen to the rave reviews!!

No comments: